Re: Library update failure continues...

	Subject: Library update failure continues...
	Date: Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 09:41:21AM -0700

Quoting Curt Howland(Howland@Priss.com):
> Hail and well met fine Debian fellows.
> Unfortunately, I have found (for the second time) that
> I cannot keep up with the debian-user list, so please
> address any replies to me personally as well as to the
> list.
> Several months ago, I tried to update to the "stable"
> distribution.It was more broken than I thought, since
> in doing so I received the following error:
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libdb.so.1
> (No such file o r directory), skipping
> Without the libc6 &etc that will not install due to this
> missing file, many things will not install nor function.
> My bug report got no action, since the suggested
> package to "solve" the library problem will not
> install without the missing file. Those who responded
> to the bug report could/would not tell me what to
> install to create the missing file.
> I even went so far as to download and install the ENTIRE
> Debian "base" directory, and the problem persists. The
> file was not created/updated by any package therein, and
> the library and several other packages would not install
> without it.
> Right now, it looks like this:
> $ ls -al /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/
> total 7
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Sep 15  1998 .
> drwxr-xr-x  34 root     root         6144 Mar  9 18:32 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 May 28  1997 libdb.so.1 ->
> libdb.so.1.85.1
> The symbolic link points to a non-existant file.
> Can someone, somewhere, send me this file or tell me
> what needs to be in it? Please?
> Curt-

  Have you gone to www.debian.org & searched for the file?  Just
download it from there, including any dependencies, and then use dpkg
to install the lot.  Would think that would be the easiest way.

Documentation is the castor oil of programming.  Managers know it must
be good because the programmers hate it so much.
Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@ix.netcom.com>