Re: Library update failure continues...

	Subject: Library update failure continues...
	Date: Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 09:41:21AM -0700

Quoting Curt Howland(Howland@Priss.com):
> Hail and well met fine Debian fellows.
>
> Unfortunately, I have found (for the second time) that
> I cannot keep up with the debian-user list, so please
> address any replies to me personally as well as to the
> list.
>
> Several months ago, I tried to update to the "stable"
> distribution.It was more broken than I thought, since
> in doing so I received the following error:
>
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libdb.so.1
> (No such file o r directory), skipping
>
> Without the libc6 &etc that will not install due to this
> missing file, many things will not install nor function.
>
> My bug report got no action, since the suggested
> package to "solve" the library problem will not
> install without the missing file. Those who responded
> to the bug report could/would not tell me what to
> install to create the missing file.
>
> I even went so far as to download and install the ENTIRE
> Debian "base" directory, and the problem persists. The
> file was not created/updated by any package therein, and
> the library and several other packages would not install
> without it.
>
> Right now, it looks like this:
>
> $ ls -al /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/
> total 7
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Sep 15  1998 .
> drwxr-xr-x  34 root     root         6144 Mar  9 18:32 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 May 28  1997 libdb.so.1 ->
> libdb.so.1.85.1
>
> The symbolic link points to a non-existant file.
>
> Can someone, somewhere, send me this file or tell me
> what needs to be in it? Please?
>
> Curt-

Curt

  Have you gone to www.debian.org & searched for the file?  Just
download it from there, including any dependencies, and then use dpkg
to install the lot.  Would think that would be the easiest way.

HTH

--
Documentation is the castor oil of programming.  Managers know it must
be good because the programmers hate it so much.