Library update failure continues...

Hail and well met fine Debian fellows.

Unfortunately, I have found (for the second time) that
I cannot keep up with the debian-user list, so please
address any replies to me personally as well as to the
list.

Several months ago, I tried to update to the "stable"
distribution.It was more broken than I thought, since
in doing so I received the following error:

ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libdb.so.1
(No such file o r directory), skipping

Without the libc6 &etc that will not install due to this
missing file, many things will not install nor function.

My bug report got no action, since the suggested
package to "solve" the library problem will not
install without the missing file. Those who responded
to the bug report could/would not tell me what to
install to create the missing file.

I even went so far as to download and install the ENTIRE
Debian "base" directory, and the problem persists. The
file was not created/updated by any package therein, and
the library and several other packages would not install
without it.

Right now, it looks like this:

$ ls -al /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/
total 7
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Sep 15  1998 .
drwxr-xr-x  34 root     root         6144 Mar  9 18:32 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 May 28  1997 libdb.so.1 ->
libdb.so.1.85.1

The symbolic link points to a non-existant file.

Can someone, somewhere, send me this file or tell me
what needs to be in it? Please?

Curt-

--

---