Re: X thinks my screen is larger than it actually is

In a message dated 4/8/99 7:32:49 PM Central Daylight Time, shao@cia.com.au
writes:

> It depends on what kind of a video card you use. Check out the Linux Laptop
> homepage
>
>  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
>
>  For your problem, in your XF86Config, if you have something like
>
>  "640x480" "800x600"
>
>  Then by default XFree86 will use the "640x480" mode and your virtual
screen
> will be
>  set to "800x600".
>
>  That is why you are getting a larger screen than you expected. Try to use
> ctrl-alt-+
>  to see if you can
>  switch to "800x600".
>
>  Of course if you are using the wrong server, it won't work...

Thanks for this response, but it doesn't apply in my case.  I don't have a
virtual screen set up, the only resolution mention in my file is 640x480.
The laptop pages don't help - frankly because it isn't an issue with laptops
- it's an X server problem.  I get the same results using a desktop.  The
Xservers (or window managers) simply don't stay within the confines of
640x480 resolution - and they should.  If I maximize a window, it puts it in
the full 640x480 window - so why does X/window-managers put these windows off
the screen when the are first painted?  That's just sloppy..  I know in most
cases I can reposition them, but I shouldn't have to.  If I only have 480
pixels high, why does a window pop up that goes beyond this limit?

-Jay