Re: X thinks my screen is larger than it actually is

Which window manager are you using?  It must be possible to fix this:
you're just bothered by the initial placement of the windows, not with
bits of your actual desktop being off the screen, right?

If you open the windows from within a menu (I use fvwm95), add
'geometry' switches to the commands in the menu, or if you are launching
them from an xterm, create aliases with the geometry switches.  Look at
the configuration file for your window manager.  For example, in my
~/.fvwm95rc (there is also a system-wide /etc/system.fvwm95rc), I have
the line:
	Style "*" RandomPlacement
(althogh I'm not sure exactly what this does!).  Note twm allows user
placement of new windows, so they go wherever you put 'em.

You can also stick default placements in your ~/.Xresources file, eg:
	emacs*Geometry: 80x65-0-0
	Xterm*Geometry: 20x10+0+0
The only problem with this is that a second xterm would start on top of
the first.

Sorry if this isn't of direct help, but it should give you a few ideas
about what to look at (try man X!)

Rich