Re: X thinks my screen is larger than it actually is

It depends on what kind of a video card you use. Check out the Linux Laptop homepage

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

For your problem, in your XF86Config, if you have something like

"640x480" "800x600"

Then by default XFree86 will use the "640x480" mode and your virtual screen will be
set to "800x600".

That is why you are getting a larger screen than you expected. Try to use ctrl-alt-+
to see if you can
switch to "800x600".

Of course if you are using the wrong server, it won't work...

Hope this helps.