pppd doing name lookup during PAP???

Hi all -

Hopefully someone here in Debian-user land is familiar enough with pppd to
give me some help with this.  I'm trying to get a dialup PPP connection set
up between computers running Debian 2.1 on two separate networks, and right
now it seems to be dying because the debian box on the remote network (an
office LAN, no name server or connection to the Internet) can't do a DNS
query on the name "*.vote-smart.org".  I thought I had things working
properly before I took the machine to the other office, but it seems to go
so far, then hang for about 80 seconds as it tries to resolve
"*.vote-smart.org" and then just "*".  After that it tries to do IPCP and
eventually gives up.  I've been reading through the pppd man and docs and I
can't figure out why it would even need to do a name lookup, let alone on a
host name with a wildcard (is that even valid in DNS???)

My pap-secrets file contains *'s for the IP numbers in the 4th column,
since I wasn't sure how exactly I needed to set those up -- could that be
what's going wrong?

Anyway, if anyone out there has any hints or advice, please let me know.
Thanks!

Chris

Chris Kaltwasser                    chris@vote-smart.org
Director of Online Services           Project Vote Smart
Office: (541) 737-0747               FAX: (541) 737-8108

            1-888-VOTE SMART (1-888-868-3762)
                http://www.Vote-Smart.org