Making fortunes

I have some random rude comments which I want to display at login.  I am
trying to use the fortunes-mod package to achieve this, but am having
difficulty transforming the (plain text) file that contains the comments
into something suitable for the fortune program.  I tried putting a '%'
(percentage - in case that symbol doesn't travel) on each blank line
between each comment, then running
	strfile <filename>
which gave the following (discouraging) output:
	"<filename>.dat" created
	There was 1 string
	Longest string: 41927 bytes
	Shortest string: 41927 bytes
I also tried:
	/usr/games/fortune <filename>.dat
expecting it to just dump the whole file, but instead got
	fortune:<filename>.dat not a fortune file or directory
Could someone please point me in the right direction to create a fortune
file from my own gibberish.

Cheers
Rich

ps I did rtfm for fortune and for strfile, and am non the wiser.