Re: pppd doing name lookup during PAP???

Hi Chris:

You might try shutting off auth in /etc/ppp/peers/?????
Change it to noauth.

Peter

Chris Kaltwasser wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> Hopefully someone here in Debian-user land is familiar enough with pppd to
> give me some help with this.  I'm trying to get a dialup PPP connection set
> up between computers running Debian 2.1 on two separate networks, and right
> now it seems to be dying because the debian box on the remote network (an
> office LAN, no name server or connection to the Internet) can't do a DNS
> query on the name "*.vote-smart.org".  I thought I had things working
> properly before I took the machine to the other office, but it seems to go
> so far, then hang for about 80 seconds as it tries to resolve
> "*.vote-smart.org" and then just "*".  After that it tries to do IPCP and
> eventually gives up.  I've been reading through the pppd man and docs and I
> can't figure out why it would even need to do a name lookup, let alone on a
> host name with a wildcard (is that even valid in DNS???)
>
> My pap-secrets file contains *'s for the IP numbers in the 4th column,
> since I wasn't sure how exactly I needed to set those up -- could that be
> what's going wrong?
>
> Anyway, if anyone out there has any hints or advice, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

> Chris Kaltwasser                    chris@vote-smart.org
> Director of Online Services           Project Vote Smart
> Office: (541) 737-0747               FAX: (541) 737-8108
>
>             1-888-VOTE SMART (1-888-868-3762)
>                 http://www.Vote-Smart.org
>
> --
begin:vcard
n:Iannarelli;Peter
tel;fax:1+ 416 929 1056
tel;work:1+ 416 929 1885
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.GenXl.com
org:GenX Internet Labs
adr:;;238a Gerrard St. East;Toronto;ON;M5A 2E8;CA
version:2.1
email;internet:Peter.Iannarelli@GenXl.com
title:Senior Engineer
fn:Peter Iannarelli