Re: delay when connecting to a Debian/Linux system

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, JonesMB wrote:

> I have setup a couple of Debian/Linux systems in the lab at work.
> They are used for many things, including acting as telnet and FTP
> servers for various test programs.  The test engineers complain that
> when an attempt is made to connect to the Linux box, it takes a while
> before they get the login prompt.  Is there anything in the network
> configuration settings that can be done so the login prompt comes up
> at once.

your tcp wrappers by default do a reverse DNS lookup on connecting hosts,
and then a forward DNS lookup to see if the names match (basic anti-dns
spoofing).  if you're in a lab and not exposed to the Internet this is
probably unnecessary so you can make the following modification in
/etc/hosts.deny:

# /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the system.
[snip]
#ALL: PARANOID
^ comment out this line.

that should make inbound connects a bit more speedy.

alternatively make entries for the machines connecting to the box in
/etc/hosts, and lookups will be speedy.

-thomas

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)