Re: X busted after 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade

I'm not sure about this, but perhaps you should remove, rather than
purge, the xbase package.  This is what I did, and I did not get this
problem.  The difference between purging and removing is that removing
leaves configuration files alone, so perhaps purging xbase removes
config files necessary to run startx??

This is just a guess.
Rich