Re: X busted after 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Richard Harran wrote:

> I'm not sure about this, but perhaps you should remove, rather than
> purge, the xbase package.  This is what I did, and I did not get this
> problem.  The difference between purging and removing is that removing
> leaves configuration files alone, so perhaps purging xbase removes
> config files necessary to run startx??

 This appears to be the case. I saved my old XF86Config, reran XF86Setup,
and then replaced the auto-generated XF86Config with my old one. Now
startx works just fine.

 I guess I'll take a very close look at the docs and see if this needs to
be reported as a bug.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735    ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Every question has a simple, easy-to-understand wrong answer."
                        -H. L. Mencken