Re: X busted after 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade

On 06 Apr 1999q,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:

>  I upgraded (at least, with CD 1) from 2.0 -> 2.1 last night, and
> everything seemed to be fine. I quit dselect, fired up X, and while
> running X, looked at some notes I had made preparing for the upgrade.
>
>  I purged xbase, since it's been claimed that it's no longer needed.
> Everything still ran fine. I powered things off for the night and went to
> bed. I got up this morning, powered up, logged on, and then:

> $ startx
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
> giving up.
> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
> server
> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>
>  What the heck? Did I jump the gun on removing xbase? Any idea what's up,
> or how to find what's up?

Now that you say this, I realize I had just  the same experience (twice, in
fact, on different machines). Something wrong with the install advice, I
think.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.1
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)