Re: xisp

On 6 Apr 1999, Martin Bialasinski responded very promptly:

> >> "vp" == v polasek <v.polasek@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> vp> I would like to run xisp without logging in as root.  Right now
> vp> when I run it as a "regular" user, xisp gives me an error message:
>
> vp> "/usr/sbin/pppd: using the name option requires root privilege".
>
> Do you have the xisp package from 2.1, or do you use an older version?

dpkg -l xisp tells me that I have version 2.5p4-1

> If you are using an older version (I suspect so), then upgrade. pppd
> 2.3.5 (as included in slink) got stricter about the allowed usage of
> parameters for unprivileged users.

My version of pppd came from the deb version 2.3.5-2 of ppp.  I presume
that this is the most recent version.  However, I should add that I
configured ppp for my current isp provider about 3 months ago under an
older version of pppd which came with hamm.  I never had any problems with
pppd before or after the upgrade.

> If I am wrong with my guess, please run
> find /etc/ppp -type f | xargs grep "name "
> as root, so that I can see where this parameter comes from.

This output is somewhat long to post, so here is a list of only the files
that came up:

/etc/ppp/peers/xisp_ttyS3
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d/xisp
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d/xisp
/etc/ppp/options
/etc/ppp/ip-up
/etc/ppp/ip-down

It looks that either /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/xisp or /etc/ppp/options may have
something relevant.

Thanks for any further help,

Vaclav Polasek