Re: Dial-on Demand with Masq Setup Box

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Russell Rademacher wrote:

> Hello guys.
>
>         Okay.. I got a little project to work on in few days and I would
> appreciate some pointers and help on this one.
>
>         Basically.... I am little familiar with the Masq system...but what I
> would like to do is setup this system as like this.  I like the system to be a
> central gateway using ISDN Modem so it dials on demand to the ISP when someone
> from the Lan Network send out a TCP/IP request out like browser or something
> and get hooked on to the ISP using the system.  Does it sound like the Linux
> Router system that I am supposed to look into for that kind of function?
>
>         Any input and ideas to make this a workable solution is appreciated.

IP Masquerade coupled with diald should do what you want. I have a Debian
machine that has a modem that I use to dial my ISP. I installed/configured
diald to bring the PPP/modem connection up to my ISP automatically
whenever something happens on my machine that requires network access. I
also have a small Ethernet LAN with one other machine (lets call is
Win95). IP Masquerade allows the Win95 machine to use my Debian machine as
a router (it has both a PPP connection to the Internet through my ISP and
an Ethernet connection to the local LAN). Any network access that the
Win95 machine requires would be forwarded to the Debian machine, which
would do the "IP Masquerading" and forward the datagrams onto the
Internet. If the modem connection is not up, diald will automatically
bring it up and will bring it down when network access is no longer
needed. I recommend the IP Masquerade Mini-HOWTO at:

<http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html>

I pretty much followed this verbatim and easily got it working.