Re: Double-Vision when increasing bbp

At 01:15 PM 4/6/1999 -0400, Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Kent West wrote:
>
>> Kent West wrote:
>>
>> > Up til now I've been living with a DefaultColorDepth of 8 in my
>> > X Windows. (I figured I had plenty of other stuff to learn about Linux
>> > first.) Now when I try to change it to 15 or 16 or 32 and restart X I
>> > get  double- or triple- or worse- vision.
>[...]
>> > I suspect it's something in the modeline, but I've tried to read some of
>> > the docs on modelines and came away fairly well confused.
>>
>> It's gotten worse; I changed back to 8 bbp and I still have
>> double-vision.
>
> Hmmm. First things first. Make sure that all the cables are plugged in
>tightly. A marginal connection might cause what you're seeing.
>
> Can you hook up the monitor to a different computer? Messing with video
>modes can, theoretically, damage monitors - you should make sure you
>haven't damaged yours. This is unlikely, but possible.
>
> Do you have a known pristine copy of your original XF86Config file? If
>so, try reverting to that. I assume from what you've said that you don't,
>but just in case...
>
> Try using really low, crappy resolutions. I've seen things like that when
>a video mode isn't synching up with the monitor. The lower the resolution
>the more likely the monitor is to support it, all things being equal.
>
> I admit that the modeline docs are complicated. What happens when you use
>xvidtune? Can you use the screen at all? Does xvidtune allow you to move
>or scale the screen image?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

'preciate the response, Ray.

I tried various resolutions. I also tried restoring an old copy of
XF86Config and it too failed. Things are weird. I rebooted the PC; no good.
xvidtune allows me to make some adjustments, but not to adjust the problem
out. This morning, to test to make sure it wasn't the monitor or card, I
rebooted and dual-booted into WinNT. Everything worked fine. So I rebooted
back into Linux, and when X started everything was fine again. Weird stuff.
If I try to bump up to 15 or 16 bpp, I get the weird stuff, but when I
dropped back to 8 it straightened out again.

The only thing  I can figure is that the 15 or 16 bpp setting threw the
card into some weird 8th and one-third dimension or something, and it
didn't straighten out until WinNT reset the card somehow.

At any rate, I'm back to a usable state at 8 bpp. Hopefully I can
successfully bump it up to 15 or 16 later, but for today, I'll leave it alone.