Re: Double-Vision when increasing bbp

Kent West wrote:

> Up til now I've been living with a DefaultColorDepth of 8 in my
> X Windows. (I figured I had plenty of other stuff to learn about Linux
> first.) Now when I try to change it to 15 or 16 or 32 and restart X I
> get  double- or triple- or worse- vision. It's sort of like the vertical
> hold on a television is set improperly, only I not only get a
> mis-aligned image (upwards and downwards usually), I also get two
> images, one on top of the other, separated by about 3/4 of the height of
> the monitor. I've tried tinkering with xvidtune, but that doesn't help
> at all. I've tried resetting my X settings with XF86Config, but again,
> no good. It happens at 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. I'm tried using
> the XF86_SVGA server and the XFCom_SVGA server that's part of vmware. My
> card is a 2MB (I believe) STB Nitro 64 (Cirrus GD5446-HC-A).
>
> I suspect it's something in the modeline, but I've tried to read some of
> the docs on modelines and came away fairly well confused. So, can anyone
> point me in the right direction, either with a solution or where to look
> for the solution, especially in English, not techno-speak. Thanks!
>
> --

It's gotten worse; I changed back to 8 bbp and I still have double-vision. I've tried
creating a new XF86Config file from scratch using both xf86config and XF86Setup and
using sane defaults and tried using various Cirrus options (such as "linear" and
"no_accell"); it's really nasty. Oh, BTW, I found out it's a 1MB card instead of 2MB.