Re: Double-Vision when increasing bbp

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Kent West wrote:

> Kent West wrote:
>
> > Up til now I've been living with a DefaultColorDepth of 8 in my
> > X Windows. (I figured I had plenty of other stuff to learn about Linux
> > first.) Now when I try to change it to 15 or 16 or 32 and restart X I
> > get  double- or triple- or worse- vision.
[...]
> > I suspect it's something in the modeline, but I've tried to read some of
> > the docs on modelines and came away fairly well confused.
>
> It's gotten worse; I changed back to 8 bbp and I still have
> double-vision.

 Hmmm. First things first. Make sure that all the cables are plugged in
tightly. A marginal connection might cause what you're seeing.

 Can you hook up the monitor to a different computer? Messing with video
modes can, theoretically, damage monitors - you should make sure you
haven't damaged yours. This is unlikely, but possible.

 Do you have a known pristine copy of your original XF86Config file? If
so, try reverting to that. I assume from what you've said that you don't,
but just in case...

 Try using really low, crappy resolutions. I've seen things like that when
a video mode isn't synching up with the monitor. The lower the resolution
the more likely the monitor is to support it, all things being equal.

 I admit that the modeline docs are complicated. What happens when you use
xvidtune? Can you use the screen at all? Does xvidtune allow you to move
or scale the screen image?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "I can write programs that control air traffic, intercept ballistic
  missiles, reconcile bank accounts, control production lines."

 "So can I, and so can any man, but do they work when you do write them?"

      - Fred Brooks, after Shakespeare, in "The Mythical Man-Month"