Double-Vision when increasing bbp

Up til now I've been living with a DefaultColorDepth of 8 in my
X Windows. (I figured I had plenty of other stuff to learn about Linux
first.) Now when I try to change it to 15 or 16 or 32 and restart X I
get  double- or triple- or worse- vision. It's sort of like the vertical
hold on a television is set improperly, only I not only get a
mis-aligned image (upwards and downwards usually), I also get two
images, one on top of the other, separated by about 3/4 of the height of
the monitor. I've tried tinkering with xvidtune, but that doesn't help
at all. I've tried resetting my X settings with XF86Config, but again,
no good. It happens at 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768. I'm tried using
the XF86_SVGA server and the XFCom_SVGA server that's part of vmware. My
card is a 2MB (I believe) STB Nitro 64 (Cirrus GD5446-HC-A).

I suspect it's something in the modeline, but I've tried to read some of
the docs on modelines and came away fairly well confused. So, can anyone
point me in the right direction, either with a solution or where to look
for the solution, especially in English, not techno-speak. Thanks!