ip-up for each user?

I'm currently looking for a way to have a per-user version of ip-up.
For example, I'd like to start fetchmail if it isn't running already
and execute a few pilot programs. But this sort of thing doesn't seem
to belong in the systemwide ip-up file. I know I can hack together something
which would allow for this, but I wanted to see if there was a "standard"
way to do it which I just can't find. So, that's my question. FAQ or hack?

Thanks,
Robbie
robbieh@cc.gatech.edu