Re: ip-up for each user?

Robbie Huffman wrote:

  >I'm currently looking for a way to have a per-user version of ip-up.
  >For example, I'd like to start fetchmail if it isn't running already
  >and execute a few pilot programs. But this sort of thing doesn't seem
  >to belong in the systemwide ip-up file. I know I can hack together something
  >which would allow for this, but I wanted to see if there was a "standard"
  >way to do it which I just can't find. So, that's my question. FAQ or hack?

It sounds as if you should use diald to bring the link up automatically
whenever a program attempts to connect to an external site.  My own
arrangement is for fetchmail to run whenever the link comes up, and for
cron to do a single ping from time to time to ensure that the link does
come up and collect mail, even if no-one is using it otherwise.

     "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should
      be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become
      angry, for man's anger does not bring about the
      righteous life that God desires."  James 1:19,20