Re: Confused about Cable modem/ NIC setup

Hi Mark,

 Couple of things. /etc/init.d/network is not your normal stop, start,
restart stuff.. It just executes a series of command. your resolv.conf
should have

search your.domain.com
nameserver 1
nameserver 2
nameserver 3
..

For eg, I call my network at home loonys.net. so my resolv.conf will look
like this

search loonys.net        ; my domain name
nameserver 127.0.0.1     ; local machine
nameserver 205.152.0.20  ; Primary DNS from isp
nameserver 205.152.0.5   ;secondary DNS from isp

My /etc/hosts will have something like this

..

For eg, I call my network at home loonys.net. so my resolv.conf will look
like this

search loonys.net        ; my domain name
nameserver 127.0.0.1     ; local machine
nameserver 205.152.0.20  ; Primary DNS from isp
nameserver 205.152.0.5   ;secondary DNS from isp

My /etc/hosts will have something like this

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.1     www.loonys.net
192.168.1.1     loony1.loonys.net       loony1
192.168.1.2     loony2.loonys.net       loony2

loony1 is my first machine and loony2 is my second machine.

Hope this helps..

Cheers,
Vaidhy

BTW, all this is explained in very detail in NET-3.HOWTO