Re: Good MP3 encoder

wax_man@bellsouth.net writes:

> Does anyone know of a good MP3 encoder for linux?  I have an old
> copy of 8hz-mp3, but it takes like 10hrs to rip and encode a cd.
> I'd prefer an open source encoder, but am not opposed to a
> commercial one.  I just want to get one that is fast.

Look at ftp://wopr.campus.luth.se/pub/mpeg_layer_3/, there is an
encoder-1.02a.tgz program there.  The license is:

  Copyright (c) 1998
       Andreas Johansson, ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se. All rights reserved.

  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
  are met:
  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

It is based on the IIS reference mpeg layer 3 encoder, don't know
about the implication of this regarding the license.

	Torsten

--
Homepage: http://www.in-berlin.de/User/myrkr