Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

On 3 Apr 1999, Stefan Nobis wrote:

> I get from time to time mails from friends and even from people i
> don't know with attachments some times greater than 1MB. And i'm
> always very angry about it, cause i do pay for my telphone connection
> (4 minutes costs me 12 german Pfennige, about 0,07US$). And none of
> these persons asked me, if i'm interested in the picture, large text,
> animation or the like. And never asked i someone of these to send me
> that thing.
>
> I talked to much other users and i often get excatly that complaint.
>
> And this has nothing to do with mailinglists.
>
> But if you are so happy about big emails, what about sending you the
> X11 sources? Without asking you about sending it. Will you be happy
> about that?
>
> The question is: What is big and what is too big? Everybody i can
> think of will get angry if i send him/her the X11 sources without
> being asked to do so. So X11 sources are clearly too big. What about a
> 50MB animation? What about a 5MB picture? What about a 100KB text?
>
> Do you get the point? To send emails bigger than about 40-80KB without
> being asked to do so and without asking the recipient is not very nice
> and i would call it an offence.

Even though I have flat-rate telephone service, I also get upset with
large emails.  Since I use POP3 to retrieve my mail from my ISP, I found
that using the "limit" parameter in my .fetchmailrc is a good way to keep
those which are ridiculously long from being fetched.  When I see that
some have been kept back because of this I telnet into the ISP and check
the mail in question.  If I want it, I save the message into a file and
ftp it; otherwise I delete the message.  I have found this method quite
useful.  A few times I have gone over the ISP's quota on disk usage, but
so far I haven't incurred any charges.

Bob

----