Re: vi in Debian (slink)

Pollywog  <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:
Pollywog> vi is acting weird, and I just discovered that vi on my
Pollywog> system is not really vim.  Isn't vi really just a symlink to
Pollywog> vim on most systems?

On "most" Unix systems (including the Suns and SGIs I use on a routine
basis) 'vi' is a pretty minimal text editor.  vim has *lots* of
features that you wouldn't expect a plain-vanilla vi to have.  I've
gotten used to using 'vim' as my text editor so I know what I'm
getting; 'vi' could be anything.

(Of course, this isn't to say that I don't use Emacs or even ed to
edit things from time to time... :-)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"