Re: writing c/c++ programs under debian

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 04:54:30AM -0800, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I am looking to start writing c/c++ programs under debian.
> The question is  what utilitys are availble to maintain and write
> projects.
> also are there any online ducumentation about the options.
> I also interested about how to write graphical programs (not neseserily
> complicated ones, just to display images) and i was wondering how to do
> it under linux/X11.
> Also is there some way to get help about functions (something like
> clicking on a function in borland c) through some external  program.
> How do i get a list of available functions and library's, and what
> function is in each library?
> Thanx

Pick up a copy of "Practical C++ Programming" by Steve Oualine and
published by Oreily and Associates. It's a very good book on the
mechanics of C++ programming and includes examples for Unix. BTW,
there is no language called "C/C++". You either code in C or C++. I
discovered this when I thought I was writing C code, but it had to
be compiled using g++ because I was using some c++ constructs.

Check http://www.gtk.org and look into the tutorial. It makes creating
X apps fairly easily. If you are more interested in making games, there
is a cross-platform toolkit calld SDL available at
http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/. It claims to be able to create
cross-platform code that runs on Linux/Windows/BeOS and soon MacOS. I've
gotten a simple program to compile on Windows/Linux (the wonders of
cross-compilers), but the Windows version pagefaults all the time.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com