need to scan drive thoroughly

Hello,

well, if any of you are wondering, I was able to get debian installed on the system by low level formatting the IDE drive from BIOS (LILO kept giving crc errors upon uncompressing Linux). Now I have another problem...anything that I download to the IDE drive (where the /home and /boot partitioins are), I get crc errors upon uncompressing them. using 'fsck' on the various partitions returns no errors, but I think this might be where I"m getting my crc errors when I'm decompressingthe linux image also...

Sooo...is there any utility (or switch in fsck) that will do a thorough scan of the drive? Also, I have my swap partition on this drive (strangely enough I'm not getting any wierd errors while running linux)...do I have to unmount this to scan the drive? If so, how can I do this safely?

thanks!!!!
-lev