Re: No LILO Boot after Re-Install Windoze95

	Subject: No LILO Boot after Re-Install Windoze95
	Date: Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 07:50:27AM -0500

Quoting Jeff Hill(jhill@hronline.com):
> After re-installing Windows95 on a dual-boot set-up, the machine
> now boots directly to Windows. I tried booting to Debian from
> floppy and then re-installing lilo, but that didn't help --
> machine still goes directly to Windows. I think I need to mess
> with the MBR, but not certain how to proceed.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Hill

Winzoze thinks it owns your box.  When you installed Win95 it
overwrote the MBR.  You have to boot with a floppy and then fix
/etc/lilo.conf.  Then run lilo so that IT can take back the MBR.

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda                         # Device containing boot
sector
compact                                 # faster, but won't work on
all systems.
prompt                                          # Force boot prompt
map = /boot/map                         # Default       = /boot/map
Default = Slink2.2.3            # Default       = /boot/boot.<number>
Timeout = 250                           # Wait <val>/10 sec. after
prompt then boot default
# End LILO global section

# Image sections
# Linux bootable partition config begins

#       Debian 2.1
#
Image    = /boot/slink
  label  = Slink
  Root   = /dev/hdb2
  VGA    = 0xb
  append = "lp=0x378,0"

Image    = /boot/Slink-2.2.3
  label  = Slink2.2.3
  Root   = /dev/hdb2
  VGA    = 0x317
  append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
Image = /boot/memtest86
        Label = Memtest

#       Win95  Why waste the disk space??
#
Other = /dev/hda1
        Label   = win
        Table   = /dev/hda

HTH

--
Information Center, n.:
  A room staffed by professional computer people whose job it is