Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

On 28-Mar-99 Marek Habersack wrote:
> Hmm.... DOS/Windows and OS/2 are PC operating systems, Linux is Unix and
> administration doesn't have to be "user friendly" - for your home needs, your
> dist vendor does for you all you need, for the open community needs, it takes
> a system administrator to manage the machine and such a person should RTFM -
> ALL OF THEM... And, IMO, the way of loading programs and devices is quite
> elegant and simple :-))))

The problem is when software you want only is packaged for one or two
distributions. At least in Win Dos and OS/2 progrmas written for the platform
will install on all machines running the OS. In Linux you come acrosss software
with documentation tell you it will run on for instance Linux with glibc.
What it should also say is that you have to wait for your distribution to
package the software so that it will *install* correctly. One thing is that it
will run, another is: Will it install? What makes it even "worse" is that the
programs I have wanted to run install fine, it is just having them load at boot
that is the problem. You shoudn't need a system admin (unless a software based
"system manager" for Linux was developed) to accomplish this.

If we want Linux to be wide spread simple/basic tasks like these should be easy
to do for the a little above average computer user, or at least standarized for
Linux as a whole.

>> I am more confused than ever :)
> And I'm confused with the odd mixture of CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT,
> WINSTART.BAT, registry, WIN.INI, SYSTEM.INI, somethingelse.ini of M$
> Windows...

I am also at times, but at least it is manageable without being a "system
admin" ;)

> marek

Regards,
Christian Dysthe