Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> > dist vendor does for you all you need, for the open community needs, it takes
> > a system administrator to manage the machine and such a person should RTFM -
> > ALL OF THEM... And, IMO, the way of loading programs and devices is quite
> > elegant and simple :-))))
>
> The problem is when software you want only is packaged for one or two
> distributions. At least in Win Dos and OS/2 progrmas written for the platform
Hmm... there aren't THAT many such packages, and those existing are mostly
commercial packages that usually have their free counterpart. So, you HAVE A
CHOICE

> will install on all machines running the OS. In Linux you come acrosss
Hmm... frankly, I haven't met software that wouldn't install on any machine
running any Linux distribution. Sometime one has to read few docs, make some
changes - but it takes a moment and you do it only once...

> software with documentation tell you it will run on for instance Linux
> with glibc. What it should also say is that you have to wait for your
> distribution to package the software so that it will *install* correctly.
Hmm.... well, telling that to the user is the vendor's responsibilty, not
the distribution's (IF the software isn't a part of the dist, of course).

> One thing is that it will run, another is: Will it install? What makes it
> even "worse" is that the programs I have wanted to run install fine, it is
> just having them load at boot that is the problem. You shoudn't need a
> system admin (unless a software based "system manager" for Linux was
> developed) to accomplish this.
Hmm... have you taken a look at linuxconf? It might be what you need. I didn't
use it personally, so I cannot comment on it, but the word is it does the job
for RH and Debian as well.

> If we want Linux to be wide spread simple/basic tasks like these should be
> easy to do for the a little above average computer user, or at least
> standarized for Linux as a whole.
But they are REALLY easy! It takes just one night for an average user to READ
the documentation... We surely don't want people to stop thinkink, do we?

> >> I am more confused than ever :)
> > And I'm confused with the odd mixture of CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT,
> > WINSTART.BAT, registry, WIN.INI, SYSTEM.INI, somethingelse.ini of M$
> > Windows...
>
> I am also at times, but at least it is manageable without being a "system
> admin" ;)
yeah... until it suddenly loses all your installed fonts, or hangs when you
start the Winblows Explorer and you scratch your head "I didn't change
anything here within last two weeks, yesternight it worked... Why doesn;t it
work anymore?? Ahh, the hell!, I'll reinstall it..." and believe me, I once
installed Win95 on one machine 15 times in row... until it worked... :)))
I'd rather spare one night to read all the available docs dealing with Debian
startup than waste one day watching the splash screens during winblows install
saying how much fun computing will be with the latest Micro$oft Crapware...
:))))

marek