Re: MTA and SMTP ident

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 02:20:48PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "GC" == G Crimp <ye416@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> writes:
>
> GC> The From: header is okay, but the envelope From header gets
> GC> written as me_here@my.isp.com.  The my.isp.com is getting through
> GC> because I could tell smail that my visible_name was the domain of
> GC> my ISP and not the local machine name.
>
> GC> Some mailing lists don't like the fact the From: field and the
> GC> envelope don't agree and reject my mail.
>
> I believe you are wrong here. This would be damn stupid (BTW, the
> mailinglist might reject the message based on this, the receiving MTA
> however must not do this).
>
> I have no problems with something like that. Did you choose to send
> _all_ outgoing mail via your isp's smtp server (smarthost)?

I have tried using both smart_host and routing mail myself.  In both cases,
by mail seems to get through OK except to certain mailing lists.  I never
get any bounces.  My mail just quietly disappears.

I have done a test where I telnet to the mail daemon at the destination, and
I am able to go through the SMTP protocol manually and get my message
through.

I think you are right, though, that it is the list software and not the MTA
that is silently discarding my mail.  When flame wars erupt in one
particular list, we go through periods of moderation.  The moderator
receives my mail OK and can forward it no problem, but on auto-pilot, my
mail is dropped without exception.

> For me, I just set the visible_name and use the method described in
> http://www.debian.org/fom/137.html to change the From: and Sender:
> header (so I don't have to do it im every programm sending mails).

My From: field is not a problem (thanks mutt !) but I'll give the Sender
header a crack and see if that makes a difference.