svgalib vs. GGI

Hello again,

Having (now) worked out the basics of svgalib and being about to embark on a fairly substantial graphics project I wonder what peoples opinions are regarding svgalib vs. GGI ?

Is svgalib dead and GGI "the way of the future" ?
What is the state of svgalib development now anyway (in terms of support for new graphics cards) ?
GGI on the surface does seem to be almost as big a monster as X - is this the case ?
Is anyone using the current beta GGI and has any comments ?

Just because I have put in the effort and learned some of the svgalib/vgagl functions I would prefer to carry on using these but it seems pointless to do so if, as the GGI page states, svgalib is completely dead.

Look forward to comments.

Ivan.