Re: Coupla quick questions...

>> "GS" == Gary Singleton <gsinglet1@yahoo.com> writes:

GS> 2.)  I noticed in my /var/log/syslog that when
GS> connecting to my ISP I got the message "modprobe: can't
GS> locate module char-major-10".  I checked the archives
GS> and dejanews and found some discussion but all I could
GS> garner was to alias it to off in /etc/conf.modules.  I
GS> did it and the message went away but I don't really
GS> understand what I did.

I don't know why it wanted to use this module. According to
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt it is
 10 char        Non-serial mice, misc features

GS> 3.)  I think when I recompiled my kernel for sound I somehow lost
GS> what used to be called "slhc" or slip header compression - I use
GS> PPP so I don't know if I need it but...

Maybe you didn't enable it, or you compiled it into the kernel (maybe
it is created when you compile ppp as module).

GS> 4.)  What does "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP"
GS> mean?  I checked the archives/dejanews and determined that I
GS> prolly don't need it so I turned it off in /etc/ppp/peers/provider
GS> but I'd still like to know what it's for.

It makes the box dialing in appear as if it is located at the remote
LAN. Basically. Pretty advanced stuff. You don't need it, as you found
out yourself.

GS> 5.)  (Last one I swear!)  I noticed in my ppp.log that
GS> my ISP may be trying chap first before pap - I'll post
GS> the relevant parts of the log if necessary but here's
GS> what looks important:

GS> ...pppd[174]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq...<auth chap 05>...
GS> ...pppd[174]: sent [LCP ConfRej...
GS> ...pppd[174]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq...<auth chap 05>...
GS> ...pppd[174]: send [LCP ConfNak...<auth pap>
GS> ...pppd[174]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq...<auth pap>

GS> Then it does some more stuff.  Should I change my
GS> config to chap?

You could try it. It is more secure, and LCP negociation will be done
a little but faster.

Ciao,
	Martin