Re: Some questions about IP Masquerading

>> "MP" == Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:

MP> /sbin/depmod -a
MP> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
MP> /sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
MP> ...etc

MP> I presume that under debian I actually just add these modules to
MP> /etc/modules??

Yes.

MP> is short for "video live"??  And I have no idea about "cuseeme"??

Some video conferencing application (for Windows).

MP> Why isn't "http" here --- doesn't it need a module?  What about
MP> "rlogin", "telnet", "ping" and "pop3" (email)??

These don't require special modules (for ping, you have to enable ICMP
masquerading during kernel config).

MP> 3.  What does "ipv4" stand for?  Is it specifically masquerading stuff?

No, IPv4 is the usual IP protocol you use.

MP> 4.  The HOWTO says:

MP> IMPORTANT: IP forwarding is disabled by default since 2.0.34
MP> kernels, please make sure you enable it by running
MP> echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

MP> This seems a very strange way to enable something.  Does it need to be
MP> done at boot time, or when?  Why is it done like this?

Seems like a little thing to enhance security. You setup the thing
(load the modules, setup the firewall), then, when the network is
secure, you actually enable it.

Ciao,
	Martin