Coupla quick questions...

Hello Debian users!  I usually just lurk and learn that
way but I have a few quick questions that I would
appreciate a little info on.

1.)  I somehow managed to delete my /var/log/news
directory and was getting boot errors.  I apparently
fixed it by recreating the directory as root but that
made the /news subdir owned by root:root.  Is this
correct or should it be owned by root:news?

2.)  I noticed in my /var/log/syslog that when
connecting to my ISP I got the message "modprobe: can't
locate module char-major-10".  I checked the archives
and dejanews and found some discussion but all I could
garner was to alias it to off in /etc/conf.modules.  I
did it and the message went away but I don't really
understand what I did.

3.)  I think when I recompiled my kernel for sound I
somehow lost what used to be called "slhc" or slip
header compression - I use PPP so I don't know if I
need it but...

4.)  What does "Cannot determine ethernet address for
proxy ARP" mean?  I checked the archives/dejanews and
determined that I prolly don't need it so I turned it
off in /etc/ppp/peers/provider but I'd still like to
know what it's for.

5.)  (Last one I swear!)  I noticed in my ppp.log that
my ISP may be trying chap first before pap - I'll post
the relevant parts of the log if necessary but here's
what looks important:

...pppd[174]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq...<auth chap 05>...
...pppd[174]: sent [LCP ConfRej...
...pppd[174]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq...<auth chap 05>...
...pppd[174]: send [LCP ConfNak...<auth pap>
...pppd[174]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq...<auth pap>

Then it does some more stuff.  Should I change my
config to chap?

TIA, G.S.