Re: [PPP] Mulitple userids at one ISP

Jor-el writes:
> I think you will have seen Peter's proposed solution on
> debian-user to my problem.

Not yet.

> The trouble is that I cant figure out how it will work : nothing in ppp
> or the current Debian PPP setup seems to allow differentiation of the PPP
> daemon's behaviour depending upon the user that invoked 'pon'.

Use this script instead of pon:

	/usr/sbin/pppd call $USER

and create a provider named after each user.

> 1.  Setting up a different ISP for every user account at the ISP is
> simply hair-raising maintenance wise.

We're talking at cross-purposes a bit here, I think.  I was assuming that
you already had the multiple accounts and were attempting to deal with
them.  If your problem is multiple email addresses and a single ISP
account, look into fetchmail's multidrop capability.

> Then if I had another user genuinely dialing into a different ISP, or A
> himself having another account on another ISP, would complicate the
> issues. It would soon become impossible to keep track of the real ISP's
> and the 'fake' ones.

Nothing fake about any of them.  Some just happen to be with the same ISP.
Some sort of a simple naming convention should keep them sorted out for
you.

> 2.  What would prevent B from dialing into A's account by executing 'pon
> AC'?

The fact that you have put /etc/ppp/peers/AC in group 'A' and
/etc/ppp/peers/BC in group 'B'.

> If by saying '... number of ways (none using pppconfig)' you meant that
> the only solution is to hand-craft a PPP setup, then that is what I
> propose to change.

Perhaps you would like to revive the 'dunc' package?  It did this sort of
stuff.

> The number one topic today that trips up newies is PPP configuration
> (video cards and X setups come a close second).

That doesn't seem to be the case with Debian.

> I think it is important that pppconfig is expanded in features to handle
> more cases.

pppconfig is intended for new users.  I assume that system administrators
can handle the editing of a few rather simple config files.  I try to
handle the most common cases first.  As you are the first to bring up this
particular case, I must conclude that this is not a very common problem.  I
will consider it, but I don't wnat to bloat pppconfig by trying to cover
every possible situation.