Re: DEBIAN 2.0 and old 386 machines

I am running a 4M RAM/40M HDD i386 setup with DGL 2.1, and do not use
dselect because it segfaults way too much - using dpkg alone works just
fine if I don't try to do too much in one run.

(try adding this to your /etc/profile: alias dpkg='dpkg --smallmem').

Have you tried to get a handle on how much memory is being used by
dselect+dpkg?

Running the following on a different VC may help you see
what is happening:

	while true; do vmstat; done
or	while true; do free; done
or	while true; do df; done

kill them with CTRL-c.

Top would also work, but I think it is less likely to catch transient
peaks that may be causing problems.

- Bruce