dpkg problem with incomplete install

Hello All-

I've just switched over to Debian 2.1 from many years of running RedHat,
SlackWare, or SLS distributions. I've got an issue where one of the deb
packages (qpage) was unpacked, but not configured, and therefore the
installation will not complete. It's listed as a broken package, both in
dselect and when doing a dpkg --audit.

I've tried to do a dpkg --remove, --purge, --configure, etc. They all
fail, saying there is no /etc/qpage.conf file, it tries to restart,
qpage, gives an error 100.

Is there any way to absolutely force a --purge? I don't want the package
on my system. I suppose I could hunt down all the files and physically
remove them, but I don't want my package database left in an
inconsistent state.

Suggestions anyone?

-j