Re: grrr, No response from modem

Jay Barbee wrote:

> At 3/18/99 11:28 AM +0100, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> >ioports and interrupts look ok. What about the cable? Does it work on
> >another computer? Wiring could be wierd. Does the serial port work at all?
> >Sometimes when I assemble a computer I put the little plug on the mainboard
> >on only half of the pins, or in the wrong orientation,... It is an external
> >modem, isn't it?
>
> The cable does work on another system.  The serial port seems as if it is
> not working at all.  As I said before I do not see a lights blink during
> modem initilization.  Even in the past when a modem is not working properly
> I still get some type of reaction.  And that program that Shanta pointed
> out, "wvdial" which does a modem detection, did not find anything.
>
> I have seen the same problem with AT motherboads and goofy wiring, however
> this is a DECpc, and it uses an ATX style motherboard.
>
> The modem is external.  USR Courier v.everything 33.6.
>
> Humm!  It honestly looks as if the serial port on the computer is not
> working.  This would explain why I could never get apcd and upsd working
> about 4 months ago.
>
> --Jay Barbee
>
> --

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: I haven't tried this in years, but used to I would
use a paper clip or small screwdriver to short pins 2 & 3 on the com
port, then configure my com program (minicom in this case) for that port
and type something on the keyboard. If I got an echo on the screen, that
was a strong indication that the port was working fine. If I didn't get
an echo, that meant that the port wasn't working. Pins 2 & 3 are the in
& out pins, so essentially you're sending out a signal and then
receiving it right back in. You could also build yourself a loopback
device out of a DB-[9 or 25] pin connector. Older versions of Norton
Utilities for DOS used to come with these, so you might can even find
one somewhere. But a paper clip will do the same thing, as long as you
can hold it on the port with one hand and type with the other and see
the screen all at one time.