Re: grrr, No response from modem

>At 3/17/99 07:58 PM -0800, Shanta McBain wrote:
>>Jay Barbee wrote:
>>> First modem is MultiTech ZDX 19.2k bps and the second is a USR Courier
>>> v.everything 33.6k bps.
>>Are they set to different settings. If they are on the same setting you will
>>get
>>nothing.

Hummm, are you talking about the modem's config, or minicom/ppp config.  I
am using the same software configuration, but I am leaving the hardware as
default.

>>> I figured pretty standard modems.  I was using the USR on a NT with all the
>>> same cables, so I know the cable and modem do work.
>>>

>>You could try wvdial it detects modem setting on installation.

I installed the package and it did not find the modem.  How could this be?
Here is how the config looked:

--[SNIP]--
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: Ignoring ttyS0 because /dev/mouse is a link to it.
Port Scan<*1>: S1
ttyS2<*1>: AT -- AT -- AT -- nothing.
ttyS3<*1>: AT -- AT -- AT -- nothing.

Sorry, no modem was detected!
--[SNIP]--

Are these ports just not working?  I know the modem and cable work fine on
another system.

--Jay Barbee