Documentation suggestion (was Re: Slink upgrade and xwindows)

> I have to admit, there is a bit of truth to this, alot of people just don't
> have the time to read 18 different documents in 18 different locations.  Man
> pages, info pages, FAQs, HOWTOs, mini-HOWTOs, READMEs, INSTALL docs, package
> descriptions... it is a bit daunting.  I do feel that anyone installing
> anything shoud be up for some reading, but just how much reading is the
> question.   I'm not even going to think about complaining about the amount of
> documentation, coming from systems that have zip, I know from experience how
> helpful good documentation can be.  But I wonder if maybe there is a better
> way to organize the volumunous information given to us in a standard, easy to
> use, heirarchial fashion.

What about this:  for a start make sure that every package has a file
in /usr/doc/<package name> that points to the available documentation,
like

* manual page blurp.1: short overview of command line options
* info blurp.info.gz:  extensive discussion of all options, and some
                       examples
* http://www.blurp.org: web site dedicated to blurp
* see also the blurp-doc package

In a similar vain it would be very helpful to have a file that lists
configuration files that have an impact on the package, like this.

/etc/conf.blurp
/var/lib/blurp/blurp.history

HTH,
Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032