Creating a vfat file system

[Please reply to me personally as well as to the list.  I don't
usually have the time to keep up with this list.]

Is there a way within Debian GNU/Linux i386 to make a VFAT file system
on a hard disk partition?

Background to the question: My laptop came with Windows 98.  I
repartitioned keeping the Windows 98 in /dev/hda1.  I installed Debian
GNU/Linux on /dev/hda3 with a swap partition on /dev/hda5 and /users
on /dev/hda6.  /dev/hda2 was reserved for Windows NT in case I wanted
to use that at work.  Eventually I decided to remove NT.  I would now
like to use /dev/hda2 as a second VFAT partition.

I used cfdisk to reset the partition type to Win95 FAT32 (0B), which
is the same type as /dev/hda1.  When I started up Windows 98 it found
that the "D" drive was not formatted and I agreed to have it format
that drive.  Then Win98 wanted to run Scandisk with the "thorough"
option.  I allowed that.  It got about halfway through the partition
according to its calculations then went into a tight loop.  Apparently
Scandisk was detecting every block as being corrupt and marking them
as corrupt.  I think it was Scandisk that had the problem not the disk
itself.

Next time I booted Linux there were all sorts of errors on /dev/hda6
of all places.  Fortunately /dev/hda3 looks ok.

Is there a mkfs.vfat or something like it within Debian that I can use
to create the VFAT file system safely?  My experience with Microsoft
utilities is not encouraging.  I would prefer to manipulate my file
systems under Linux where I have some chance of understanding what is
going on.