Re: Creating a vfat file system

On Sun, Mar 14, 1999 at 01:17:06PM -0600, Douglas Bates wrote:
> [Please reply to me personally as well as to the list.  I don't
> usually have the time to keep up with this list.]

There is nothing special about VFAT filesystem.
You can just create regular FAT16 partition with
mkdosfs form dosfstools package.

I do not know if there is a way to create FAT32 from under Linux.
VFAT is just an extension to FAT that does not require any special formatting,
it's just the way directory entries are being created.
There is no connection between VFAT & FAT32.

I doubt however that the problem will go away.
Since Win98 has overwritten /dev/hda6, I suspect that this might be 1024 cyl
problem. At least Win95 will corrupt partitions when trying to write past
1024 cylinders. Does you BIOS set up for LBA? How many cylinders linux fdisk
is showing? If Win98 shows the number of cylinders - what is it?

Another reason may be if you did not erase the first sector of /dev/hda2
after repartitioning with linux fdisk
You should do "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda2 bs=512 count=1"
before MS format can work.

For further help be sure to post the printout of partitions from linux fdisk.