Re: Creating a vfat file system

Douglas Bates wrote:

>  /dev/hda2 was reserved for Windows NT in case I wanted
> to use that at work.  Eventually I decided to remove NT.  I would now
> like to use /dev/hda2 as a second VFAT partition.
> I used cfdisk to reset the partition type to Win95 FAT32 (0B), which
> is the same type as /dev/hda1.

Out of curiosity, what type of partition was /dev/hda2 before you
changed it to FAT32? Assuming it was NTFS before, that *may* explain
what happened when you formatted/scandisked that partition in Win98.

All versions of Win9X have a bug that can pop up when there is more than
one visible primary FAT (or FAT32) partition on a drive, AND the last
logical drive is non-DOS.

It has to do with the order of mounting (assigning letters) - first the
active primary, then the logicals, then additional visible primaries.
Somehow it gets confused between the last logical partition (if it's
non-DOS), and the 2nd visible primary, and problems similar to yours can
happen. I've had it happen myself, and fixed it by making the last
logical partition a DOS partition.

This bug may have been what caused the corruption to /dev/hda6. Before,
if you had NTFS (non FAT primary) on /dev/hda2, it wouldn't have
occurred.

Tom

--
Try Debian GNU/Linux - it's free, it's open source, and it rocks
http://www.debian.org