Re: Version 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Simon Martin wrote:

> 1) sendmail.cf has been moved from /etc to /etc/mail, but the script
> /etc/init.d/sendmail checks for the existence if the /etc/sendmail.cf
> command before it executes anything.

There should be a file /etc/init.d/sendmail.dpkg-new -- you might want to
replace the /etc/init.d/sendmail file with this one so that it looks in
the right place.

> 2) I found that submitting mail from the Linux box worked but submitting it
> from a workstation did not, giving an error about "relaying". The only way I
> could get round this was to add domain names for all my clients into the
> /etc/mail/relay-domains file. This seems to work, but it is a real drag.
> Thank God I did the upgrade over the weekend.

This relaying protection is actually something that you definitely DO
want.  If you're running sendmail open to all relaying on the Internet,
before long some spammer will discover it and happily steal your bandwidth
and cpu to send their crap all over the Internet, possibly resulting in
the blacklisting of your mailhost stopping you from mailing about 30% of
the net.

You should be able to use appropriate wildcards in the relay-domains file
so you don't have to do it by host, but by IP ranges (172.16.*) or whole
domains (*.example.com).  Yes it's more of a pain than unrestricted
access, but having your mailer exploited by spammers is more of a pain
than anything (and many people will dislike you for it.)

hope this helps,

-thomas

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)