Re: I can't beleive this

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 04:37:06PM -0500, Michael Stenner wrote:

> You're complaints hardly apply only to the computer world (I know you
> didn't say they did).  People just EXPECT everything in general.  That
> bugs me to no end also, but in this case, there's nothing wrong with
> WANTING an "easy" OS.

Make it idiot proof and there will be an idiot who breaks it.

I am not opposed against making things easier. But, as usually, making it
easier for everyone is very complex. Linux is very young. Give it another
two years, and installation and setup tools will spring up like mushrooms.

> What's WRONG with autodetecting hardware and
> installing drivers?

It doesn't work reliable. It wouldn't even work reliable if we had all the
necessary specs and standards. And that's a very big "if".

> Sure, it messes up sometimes, but then you just do
> it by hand, like you do EVERY time in linux.

Another reboot in the dust. Why spend your time on auto detection? Wouldn't
it be better to make it easier to set it up manually? If you can detect
parts of your system 100% reliably, I am all in favour. Otherwise, let'smake
the things easier that works.

>  I'm just saying that the
> IDEA is a good one.  The code is REALLY bad, but we've got lots of good
> programmers...

You are dreaming. We have not enough programmers for everything. We have a
lot of people talking, and we have even more people complaining.
We have also lots of ideas. But we dont' have enough specs, and we don't
have enough programmers (multiplied by hours).

If you want to proof me the oppsoite, I'll be positively surprised

(note, this is not particularly directed at you)

Thanks,
Marcus