Re: I can't beleive this

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:07:08 -0500 (EST), Michael Stenner wrote:

>These are safety issues.  I am all for users being educated in computer
>related safety issues, like....  hmmm... can't think of any.

    They drive the point home that any tool you are likely to use needs
training to PROPERLY operate it.

>So, why do you have no respect for this guy?  He's not likely to hurt
>any little kids with his ignorance.  Must everyone be interested in the
>inner workings of computers to earn your respect?

    No.  But he must be willing to be trained with the tool instead of
whining that things aren't easy enough.

>\begin{point}
>I'm getting really tired of us sitting around and insulting people who
>don't have the same _interests_ that we do.  That's just about as snobby
>and pious as it gets.
>\end{point}

    And you missed mine.  I am not saying that people should have the same
interests as we do, I'm saying that they should be prepared to take some
training for this *very* complex tool they wish to use.  I used to work tech
support at a local ISP, hell, I still am tech overflow here, and just the
pure amount of stupidity and childishness out there is astounding!  People
were complaining that they had to click to get onto the internet before they
did anything else and then, when they configured it to do it automatically,
they complained that it wouldn't work when they were on the road.  We're
talking *TWO BUTTON PRESSES* and they were threatening to leave our service
because of it.  Then there are the rash of people who don't know how to drag
icons.  How about nearly everyone who, after I tell them to RMB click on an
icon and click on properties they have to ask, "Right mouse click on
properties?"  And let's not even begin to mention the hordes of people who
can't walk their way through our setup instructions but can when we read it
to them over the phone, WORD FOR WORD AS A SCRIPT.

    No dumbing down of a computer will EVER get to a level where these
people (and it is the majority of them) will be able to effectively use it.
And that is because, no matter how much dumbing down a computer goes
through, it will *STILL* require them to RTFM, IE, get TRAINED, which they
will not do.  Those are the people I have little to no respect for.  Jaded?
You better believe.

    I want to get from point a to point b in my car, but damn, I was trained
on how to drive it, and even though I don't need to know the inner workings
I don't just throw my hands up in the air and say, "I don't need to know,
just fix it" I ask for explinations so the next time something happens I'm a
little more knowledgable.  Cars certainly aren't one of my interests.

>When I point out that windows does something cool, everybody lashes back
>that it's a pile of crap.  I couldn't agree more, but it still does some
>cool stuff.

    Linux does more cool stuff.  Damn near every "Cool" think that Windows
does Linux does smaller, faster, easier.  If there is something that Windows
does that Linux doesn't it is because the Windows design model is backwards
and that certainly isn't something to be admired.

- --