Re: I can't beleive this

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:07:08 -0500 (EST), Michael Stenner wrote:
>
>>These are safety issues.  I am all for users being educated in computer
>>related safety issues, like....  hmmm... can't think of any.
>
>    They drive the point home that any tool you are likely to use needs
>training to PROPERLY operate it.

That's why truck and bus drivers get different licenses than regular
folk.  Different training.  No point in learning how to drive a truck if
you don't need to haul stuff.  If you don't need to maintain a network,
why learn about it.

>>So, why do you have no respect for this guy?  He's not likely to hurt
>>any little kids with his ignorance.  Must everyone be interested in the
>>inner workings of computers to earn your respect?
>
>    No.  But he must be willing to be trained with the tool instead of
>whining that things aren't easy enough.

Who said he was whining?  He doesn't whine.  He just goes out and buys
Windows 98.  When we start rolling our eyes and telling him he should
use linux, he politely explains that he doesn't want to take the time to
mess with all that crap.

The more we go back and forth, the more I suspect we're talking about
different things.  I'm saying its ok for people to WANT an OS which does
administrative tasks for you.  You're complaining about people who
EXPECT an OS to do administrative tasks for you (and who bitch a lot
when they don't get something).  We're describing two different sets of
people.

You're complaints hardly apply only to the computer world (I know you
didn't say they did).  People just EXPECT everything in general.  That
bugs me to no end also, but in this case, there's nothing wrong with
WANTING an "easy" OS.

>>When I point out that windows does something cool, everybody lashes back
>>that it's a pile of crap.  I couldn't agree more, but it still does some
>>cool stuff.
>
>    Linux does more cool stuff.

I agree.  Linux is better.  Lots better.

>Damn near every "Cool" think that Windows does Linux does smaller,
>faster, easier.  If there is something that Windows does that Linux
>doesn't it is because the Windows design model is backwards

that's pretty extreme.  What's WRONG with autodetecting hardware and
installing drivers?  Sure, it messes up sometimes, but then you just do
it by hand, like you do EVERY time in linux.  I'm just saying that the
IDEA is a good one.  The code is REALLY bad, but we've got lots of good
programmers...

					-Michael