Re: dselect removed (almost) everything

Matt Garman hat gesagt: // Matt Garman wrote:

> I was using dselect, and I hit the remove unwanted software option.
> And it went through and started removing almost EVERYTHING I had
> installed -- stuff I thought should definately _not_ be flagged to be
> removed (fetchmail, emacs, lilo, lprng, tetex...).
>
> I hit CTRL-C so that it wouldn't take out too much.  I did _not_ get
> dpkg-ftp (dpkg-ftp was still installed), so I went through and
> selected the files dselect removed, and when I went to install them,
> it said there were zero files to be gotten!
>
> Now I'm in the long, slow, painful process of downloading each package
> manually via ftp, and installing them by hand with dpkg.
>
> Why is my system in this state?  What did I do?  These packages that
> dselect started to remove, I have NEVER flagged to remove them.

Yeah, this has happened to me once as well :( If you had installed
software by hand with dpkg -i , dselect perhaps could not find the packets
in its Packages-lists and files them under "Local/Obsolete". To us of course
there is a *BIG* difference between local and obsolete packages but somehow
dselect is stupid about this. I will *NEVER* hit Remove again.

I would recommend to install apt immediatly. It can repair at least some of
the errors you now have in your setup. Plus it makes installing software by
hand A LOT easier. (You just type "apt-get install somepackage" and it will
download and install somepackage plus all the needed packages in one step.)

--
                                                     __    __
 Frank Barknecht           ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______