Re: dselect removed (almost) everything

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 10:34:52AM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Matt Garman hat gesagt: // Matt Garman wrote:
>

> > I was using dselect, and I hit the remove unwanted software option.
> > And it went through and started removing almost EVERYTHING I had
> > installed -- stuff I thought should definately _not_ be flagged to be
> > removed (fetchmail, emacs, lilo, lprng, tetex...).
> >
> > I hit CTRL-C so that it wouldn't take out too much.  I did _not_ get
> > dpkg-ftp (dpkg-ftp was still installed), so I went through and
> > selected the files dselect removed, and when I went to install them,
> > it said there were zero files to be gotten!
> >
> > Now I'm in the long, slow, painful process of downloading each package
> > manually via ftp, and installing them by hand with dpkg.
> >
> > Why is my system in this state?  What did I do?  These packages that
> > dselect started to remove, I have NEVER flagged to remove them.
>
> Yeah, this has happened to me once as well :( If you had installed
> software by hand with dpkg -i , dselect perhaps could not find the packets
> in its Packages-lists and files them under "Local/Obsolete". To us of course
> there is a *BIG* difference between local and obsolete packages but somehow
> dselect is stupid about this. I will *NEVER* hit Remove again.

Yes, I've found that if you install using dpkg -i, you need to run the
dselect update afterwards, so it can update it's list of installed packages.
I noticed that when I installed my kernel images built with kernel-package...
they didn't show up in dselect until after update was run.

> I would recommend to install apt immediatly. It can repair at least some of
> the errors you now have in your setup. Plus it makes installing software by
> hand A LOT easier. (You just type "apt-get install somepackage" and it will
> download and install somepackage plus all the needed packages in one step.)

Mike
--
Mike Merten
ironfoot@popaccount.com