Re: dselect removed (almost) everything

On 10 Mar 1999q, Matt Garman wrote:

> I was using dselect, and I hit the remove unwanted software option.
> And it went through and started removing almost EVERYTHING I had
> installed -- stuff I thought should definately _not_ be flagged to be
> removed (fetchmail, emacs, lilo, lprng, tetex...).
>
> I hit CTRL-C so that it wouldn't take out too much.  I did _not_ get
> dpkg-ftp (dpkg-ftp was still installed), so I went through and
> selected the files dselect removed, and when I went to install them,
> it said there were zero files to be gotten!
>
> Now I'm in the long, slow, painful process of downloading each package
> manually via ftp, and installing them by hand with dpkg.
>
> Why is my system in this state?  What did I do?  These packages that
> dselect started to remove, I have NEVER flagged to remove them.
>
> help.

This once happened to me. I'm not sure why; I assumed it was something
stupid I'd done, but since then I've NEVER allowed it to remove anything;
I've always removed unwanted packages manually, with dpkg.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/bookreviews.html

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)